Keeping the environment safe and healthy is a tough row to hoe, mainly because there are many factors involved. By adopting ways that are conducive to the planet, you can develop a positive relationship between your health and the environment.
This World Environment Day let’s work towards making the Earth cleaner, greener and safer.
At first, taking a big leap towards change will be difficult; however you can start with small, simple actions. Begin with one change every week and then work up to three or four, to gradually make healthy living a part of your daily routine.
Pollution is a rising concern as the environment influences human health in many ways. Ensure the air quality at home is good and encourage air circulation to exchange the air at home with fresh air from outside.
With global warming, endangered species, climate changes making news each day, it’s crucial we start working towards a greener planet. Here are some ways how you can change your personal habits to make an impact:
1. While painting your house, use paints which contain low-volatile organic compounds. Volatile organic compounds are not only dangerous to breathe but also affect your overall health and the environment.
2. When designing or remodelling your home, add as many windows as you can to increase natural light and air circulation. This will help create a healthier environment to live in.
3. Keep your house clean and organised at all times. Clutter not only makes the house look messy but also creates areas for dust to gather. Make sure you use eco-friendly cleaning products to avoid the effects of harmful chemicals.
4. Keep the air clean by replacing air filters in your air conditioning unit at least once a month and cleaning ceiling fans regularly so they don’t spread accumulated dust particles.
5. Reduce the carbon footprint! Leaving your car at home twice a week can cut greenhouse gas emissions by 1,600 pounds per year. (http://1.usa.gov/1kpMrCM)
6. Plastic bags are not biodegradable hence opt for cloth or paper bags. Make sure you keep them in your car always, so you don’t forget next time you are shopping.
Remember, we only get one planet, so let’s keep it clean and beautiful for generations to come.